Elected representatives in government are in charge of the policy and funding that can make or break saving threatened species. Their decisions and actions matter.
Berowra has or used to have 25 threatened animals within its boundaries. One of them is me, the New Holland Mouse.
We took care to attach appropriate images that are as close to representative of each species as our resources and the availability of images allowed. However, we could not ensure perfect accuracy in every case. Some images show species that share the same genus but not at the species or subspecies level.
New Holland Mouse
The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) lists threatened species under six categories:
Extinct, Extinct in the wild, Critically Endangered, Endangered, Vulnerable, Conservation dependent. Read more about these categories
Pseudomys novaehollandiae is found across 46 electorates.
A small, burrowing native rodent, the New Holland Mouse is similar in size and appearance to the introduced House Mouse, although it can be distinguished by its slightly larger ears and eyes, the absence of a notch on the upper incisors and the absence of a distinctive 'mousy odour'.¹
Explore more about this species on the Atlas of Living Australia
Adverse fire regimes
Invasive species and diseases
Explore more about the threats facing species on our Resources page.
- Bynoe's Wattle (Acacia bynoeana)
- Acacia gordonii (Acacia gordonii)
- Downy Wattle (Acacia pubescens)
- Allocasuarina glareicola (Allocasuarina glareicola)
- Asterolasia elegans (Asterolasia elegans)
- Thick-leaf Star-hair (Astrotricha crassifolia)
- Thick-lipped Spider-orchid (Caladenia tessellata)
- Leafless Tongue-orchid (Cryptostylis hunteriana)
- White-flowered Wax Plant (Cynanchum elegans)
- Darwinia biflora (Darwinia biflora)
- Camfield's Stringybark (Eucalyptus camfieldii)
- Yellow Gnat-orchid (Genoplesium baueri)
- Caley's Grevillea (Grevillea caleyi)
- Grevillea shiressii (Grevillea shiressii)
- Wingless Raspwort (Haloragis exalata subsp. exalata)
- Hal (Haloragodendron lucasii)
- Julian's Hibbertia (Hibbertia spanantha)
- Kunzea rupestris (Kunzea rupestris)
- Lasiopetalum joyceae (Lasiopetalum joyceae)
- Deane's Tea-tree (Leptospermum deanei)
- Biconvex Paperbark (Melaleuca biconvexa)
- Deane's Melaleuca (Melaleuca deanei)
- Micromyrtus blakelyi (Micromyrtus blakelyi)
- Angus's Onion Orchid (Microtis angusii)
- Olearia cordata (Olearia cordata)
- Knotweed (Persicaria elatior)
- Hairy Geebung (Persoonia hirsuta)
- Persoonia mollis subsp. maxima (Persoonia mollis subsp. maxima)
- Pimelea curviflora var. curviflora (Pimelea curviflora var. curviflora)
- Spiked Rice-flower (Pimelea spicata)
- Rufous Pomaderris (Pomaderris brunnea)
- Sydney Plains Greenhood (Pterostylis saxicola)
- Pultenaea parviflora (Pultenaea parviflora)
- Eastern Underground Orchid (Rhizanthella slateri)
- Magenta Lilly Pilly (Syzygium paniculatum)
- Zieria involucrata (Zieria involucrata)
You are in federal electorate Berowra.