Elected representatives in government are in charge of the policy and funding that can make or break saving threatened species. Their decisions and actions matter.
Blaxland has or used to have 17 threatened animals within its boundaries. One of them is me, the Regent Honeyeater.
We took care to attach appropriate images that are as close to representative of each species as our resources and the availability of images allowed. However, we could not ensure perfect accuracy in every case. Some images show species that share the same genus but not at the species or subspecies level.
Status: Critically Endangered
The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) lists threatened species under six categories:
Extinct, Extinct in the wild, Critically Endangered, Endangered, Vulnerable, Conservation dependent. Read more about these categories
Anthochaera phrygia is found across 113 electorates.
The regent honeyeater is a striking black and yellow bird that has a patchy distribution between south-east Queensland and central Victoria. It primarily occurs in box-ironbark woodland, but also occurs in other forest types. The species primarily feeds on nectar and, to a lesser extent, insects and their exudates. It mainly feeds on nectar from eucalypts and mistletoes and it prefers taller and larger diameter trees for foraging.¹
Explore more about this species on the Atlas of Living Australia
Climate change and severe weather
Disrupted ecosystem and population processes
Habitat loss, fragmentation and degradation
Invasive species and diseases
Explore more about the threats facing species on our Resources page.
- Downy Wattle (Acacia pubescens)
- Allocasuarina glareicola (Allocasuarina glareicola)
- Thick-lipped Spider-orchid (Caladenia tessellata)
- Leafless Tongue-orchid (Cryptostylis hunteriana)
- White-flowered Wax Plant (Cynanchum elegans)
- Deyeuxia appressa (Deyeuxia appressa)
- Yellow Gnat-orchid (Genoplesium baueri)
- Small-flower Grevillea (Grevillea parviflora subsp. parviflora)
- Hibbertia puberula subsp. glabrescens (Hibbertia puberula subsp. glabrescens)
- Knotweed (Persicaria elatior)
- Nodding Geebung (Persoonia nutans)
- Spiked Rice-flower (Pimelea spicata)
- Sydney Plains Greenhood (Pterostylis saxicola)
- Scrub Turpentine (Rhodamnia rubescens)
- Magenta Lilly Pilly (Syzygium paniculatum)
You are in federal electorate Blaxland.