Elected representatives in government are in charge of the policy and funding that can make or break saving threatened species. Their decisions and actions matter.
Chifley has or used to have 12 threatened animals within its boundaries. One of them is me, the Large-eared Pied Bat.
We took care to attach appropriate images that are as close to representative of each species as our resources and the availability of images allowed. However, we could not ensure perfect accuracy in every case. Some images show species that share the same genus but not at the species or subspecies level.
Large-eared Pied Bat
The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) lists threatened species under six categories:
Extinct, Extinct in the wild, Critically Endangered, Endangered, Vulnerable, Conservation dependent. Read more about these categories
Chalinolobus dwyeri is found across 69 electorates.
The Large-eared Pied Bat is a medium-sized insectivorous bat measuring a total length of approximately 100 mm and weighing 7–12 grams. It has shiny, black fur on the body with a white stripe on the ventral side of the torso where it adjoins the wings and tail. The ears are large, and lobes of skin adorn the lower lip and between the corner of the mouth and the bottom of the ear. Its relatively short, broad wings suggest it flies slowly and with considerable maneuverability.¹
Explore more about this species on the Atlas of Living Australia
Changed surface and groundwater regimes
Habitat loss, fragmentation and degradation
Invasive species and diseases
Overexploitation and other direct harm from human activities
Explore more about the threats facing species on our Resources page.
- Bynoe's Wattle (Acacia bynoeana)
- Downy Wattle (Acacia pubescens)
- Allocasuarina glareicola (Allocasuarina glareicola)
- White-flowered Wax Plant (Cynanchum elegans)
- Deane's Melaleuca (Melaleuca deanei)
- Micromyrtus minutiflora (Micromyrtus minutiflora)
- Hairy Geebung (Persoonia hirsuta)
- Nodding Geebung (Persoonia nutans)
- Pimelea curviflora var. curviflora (Pimelea curviflora var. curviflora)
- Spiked Rice-flower (Pimelea spicata)
- Rufous Pomaderris (Pomaderris brunnea)
- Sydney Plains Greenhood (Pterostylis saxicola)
- Pultenaea parviflora (Pultenaea parviflora)
You are in federal electorate Chifley.