Elected representatives in government are in charge of the policy and funding that can make or break saving threatened species. Their decisions and actions matter.
Corangamite has or used to have 24 threatened animals within its boundaries. One of them is me, the Australian Fairy Tern.
We took care to attach appropriate images that are as close to representative of each species as our resources and the availability of images allowed. However, we could not ensure perfect accuracy in every case. Some images show species that share the same genus but not at the species or subspecies level.
Australian Fairy Tern
Sternula nereis nereis
The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) lists threatened species under six categories:
Extinct, Extinct in the wild, Critically Endangered, Endangered, Vulnerable, Conservation dependent. Read more about these categories
Changed surface and groundwater regimes
Climate change and severe weather
Disrupted ecosystem and population processes
Habitat loss, fragmentation and degradation
Invasive species and diseases
Overexploitation and other direct harm from human activities
Explore more about the threats facing species on our Resources page.
- River Swamp Wallaby-grass (Amphibromus fluitans)
- Tall Astelia (Astelia australiana)
- Ornate Pink Fingers (Caladenia ornata)
- Dwarf Spider-orchid (Caladenia pumila)
- Matted Flax-lily (Dianella amoena)
- Trailing Hop-bush (Dodonaea procumbens)
- Strzelecki Gum (Eucalyptus strzeleckii)
- Clover Glycine (Glycine latrobeana)
- Anglesea Grevillea (Grevillea infecunda)
- Adamson's Blown-grass (Lachnagrostis adamsonii)
- Wrinkled Buttons (Leiocarpa gatesii)
- Spiny Pepper-cress (Lepidium aschersonii)
- Basalt Pepper-cress (Lepidium hyssopifolium)
- Hoary Sunray (Leucochrysum albicans subsp. tricolor)
- Plains Rice-flower (Pimelea spinescens subsp. spinescens)
- Salt-lake Tussock-grass (Poa sallacustris)
- Dense Leek-orchid (Prasophyllum spicatum)
- Fragrant Leek-orchid (Prasophyllum suaveolens)
- Sturdy Leek-orchid (Prasophyllum validum)
- Green-striped Greenhood (Pterostylis chlorogramma)
- Leafy Greenhood (Pterostylis cucullata)
- Button Wrinklewort (Rutidosis leptorrhynchoides)
- Large-fruit Fireweed (Senecio macrocarpus)
- Swamp Fireweed (Senecio psilocarpus)
- Spiral Sun-orchid (Thelymitra matthewsii)
- Swamp Everlasting (Xerochrysum palustre)
You are in federal electorate Corangamite.