Elected representatives in government are in charge of the policy and funding that can make or break saving threatened species. Their decisions and actions matter.
Cunningham has or used to have 26 threatened animals within its boundaries. One of them is me, the Regent Honeyeater.
We took care to attach appropriate images that are as close to representative of each species as our resources and the availability of images allowed. However, we could not ensure perfect accuracy in every case. Some images show species that share the same genus but not at the species or subspecies level.
Status: Critically Endangered
The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) lists threatened species under six categories:
Extinct, Extinct in the wild, Critically Endangered, Endangered, Vulnerable, Conservation dependent. Read more about these categories
Anthochaera phrygia is found across 112 electorates.
The regent honeyeater is a striking black and yellow bird that has a patchy distribution between south-east Queensland and central Victoria. It primarily occurs in box-ironbark woodland, but also occurs in other forest types. The species primarily feeds on nectar and, to a lesser extent, insects and their exudates. It mainly feeds on nectar from eucalypts and mistletoes and it prefers taller and larger diameter trees for foraging.¹
Explore more about this species on the Atlas of Living Australia
Climate change and severe weather
Disrupted ecosystem and population processes
Habitat loss, fragmentation and degradation
Invasive species and diseases
Explore more about the threats facing species on our Resources page.
- Bynoe's Wattle (Acacia bynoeana)
- Thick-leaf Star-hair (Astrotricha crassifolia)
- Thick-lipped Spider-orchid (Caladenia tessellata)
- Leafless Tongue-orchid (Cryptostylis hunteriana)
- White-flowered Wax Plant (Cynanchum elegans)
- Illawarra Socketwood (Daphnandra johnsonii)
- Camfield's Stringybark (Eucalyptus camfieldii)
- Yellow Gnat-orchid (Genoplesium baueri)
- Small-flower Grevillea (Grevillea parviflora subsp. parviflora)
- Wingless Raspwort (Haloragis exalata subsp. exalata)
- Woronora Beard-heath (Leucopogon exolasius)
- Deane's Melaleuca (Melaleuca deanei)
- Knotweed (Persicaria elatior)
- Bargo Geebung (Persoonia bargoensis)
- Hairy Geebung (Persoonia hirsuta)
- Nodding Geebung (Persoonia nutans)
- Spiked Rice-flower (Pimelea spicata)
- Jervis Bay Leek Orchid (Prasophyllum affine)
- Tawny Leek-orchid (Prasophyllum fuscum)
- Villous Mintbush (Prostanthera densa)
- Illawarra Greenhood (Pterostylis gibbosa)
- Sydney Plains Greenhood (Pterostylis saxicola)
- Pultenaea aristata (Pultenaea aristata)
- Magenta Lilly Pilly (Syzygium paniculatum)
- Kangaloon Sun Orchid (Thelymitra kangaloonica)
- Austral Toadflax (Thesium australe)
- Swamp Everlasting (Xerochrysum palustre)
You are in federal electorate Cunningham.