Elected representatives in government are in charge of the policy and funding that can make or break saving threatened species. Their decisions and actions matter.
Franklin has or used to have 23 threatened animals within its boundaries. One of them is me, the Eastern Hooded Plover.
We took care to attach appropriate images that are as close to representative of each species as our resources and the availability of images allowed. However, we could not ensure perfect accuracy in every case. Some images show species that share the same genus but not at the species or subspecies level.
Eastern Hooded Plover
Thinornis cucullatus cucullatus
The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) lists threatened species under six categories:
Extinct, Extinct in the wild, Critically Endangered, Endangered, Vulnerable, Conservation dependent. Read more about these categories
Thinornis cucullatus cucullatus is found across 34 electorates.
The hooded plover is a small Australian beach nesting bird. It mainly occurs on wide beaches backed by dunes with large amounts of seaweed and jetsam, creek mouths and inlet entrances. Nests are found above the high water mark on flat beaches, on stony terraces, or on sparsely vegetated dunes. As the hooded plover occurs on beaches, it is easily disturbed by human activities, particularly off-leash domestic dogs.¹
Explore more about this species on the Atlas of Living Australia
Climate change and severe weather
Disrupted ecosystem and population processes
Habitat loss, fragmentation and degradation
Invasive species and diseases
Overexploitation and other direct harm from human activities
Explore more about the threats facing species on our Resources page.
- Native Wintercress (Barbarea australis)
- Black-tipped Spider-orchid (Caladenia anthracina)
- Tailed Spider-orchid (Caladenia caudata)
- Sagg Spider-orchid (Caladenia saggicola)
- Forest Fingers (Caladenia sylvicola)
- Pedder Centrolepis (Centrolepis pedderensis)
- Curtis' Colobanth (Colobanthus curtisiae)
- Matted Flax-lily (Dianella amoena)
- Stuart's Heath (Epacris stuartii)
- Pretty Heath (Epacris virgata)
- Morrisby's Gum (Eucalyptus morrisbyi)
- Shy Eyebright (Euphrasia fragosa)
- Swamp Eyebright (Euphrasia gibbsiae subsp. psilantherea)
- Clover Glycine (Glycine latrobeana)
- Basalt Pepper-cress (Lepidium hyssopifolium)
- Hoary Sunray (Leucochrysum albicans subsp. tricolor)
- Reflexed Everlasting (Ozothamnus reflexifolius)
- Moleskin Dogwood (Pomaderris pilifera subsp. talpicutica)
- Dainty Leek-orchid (Prasophyllum amoenum)
- Tapered Leek-orchid (Prasophyllum apoxychilum)
- Chestnut Leek-orchid (Prasophyllum castaneum)
- Milford Leek-orchid (Prasophyllum milfordense)
- Knocklofty Leek-orchid (Prasophyllum perangustum)
- Pretty Leek-orchid (Prasophyllum pulchellum)
- Grassland Greenhood (Pterostylis ziegeleri)
- Sky-blue Sun-orchid (Thelymitra jonesii)
- Swamp Everlasting (Xerochrysum palustre)
You are in federal electorate Franklin.