Elected representatives in government are in charge of the policy and funding that can make or break saving threatened species. Their decisions and actions matter.
Hawke has or used to have 18 threatened animals within its boundaries. One of them is me, the Pink-tailed Worm-lizard.
We took care to attach appropriate images that are as close to representative of each species as our resources and the availability of images allowed. However, we could not ensure perfect accuracy in every case. Some images show species that share the same genus but not at the species or subspecies level.
The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) lists threatened species under six categories:
Extinct, Extinct in the wild, Critically Endangered, Endangered, Vulnerable, Conservation dependent. Read more about these categories
Aprasia parapulchella is found across 19 electorates.
The pink-tailed worm-lizard is a worm-like lizard that grows to 14 cm long. Sites where the species is found generally include rocky outcrops or scattered partly buried rocks. It occurs under rocks in grassland and woodland in south-east Australia. It spends a considerable amount of time in burrows: the burrows have been constructed by, and may still by inhabited by, small black ants or termites. It feeds on the larvae and eggs of ants.¹
Explore more about this species on the Atlas of Living Australia
Habitat loss, fragmentation and degradation
Invasive species and diseases
Explore more about the threats facing species on our Resources page.
- River Swamp Wallaby-grass (Amphibromus fluitans)
- Ornate Pink Fingers (Caladenia ornata)
- Matted Flax-lily (Dianella amoena)
- Small Golden Moths Orchid (Diuris basaltica)
- Trailing Hop-bush (Dodonaea procumbens)
- Black Gum (Eucalyptus aggregata)
- Clover Glycine (Glycine latrobeana)
- Adamson's Blown-grass (Lachnagrostis adamsonii)
- Basalt Pepper-cress (Lepidium hyssopifolium)
- Hoary Sunray (Leucochrysum albicans subsp. tricolor)
- Plains Rice-flower (Pimelea spinescens subsp. spinescens)
- Green-striped Greenhood (Pterostylis chlorogramma)
- Button Wrinklewort (Rutidosis leptorrhynchoides)
- Large-fruit Fireweed (Senecio macrocarpus)
- Swamp Fireweed (Senecio psilocarpus)
- Swamp Everlasting (Xerochrysum palustre)
You are in federal electorate Hawke.