Elected representatives in government are in charge of the policy and funding that can make or break saving threatened species. Their decisions and actions matter.
Macarthur has or used to have 23 threatened animals within its boundaries. One of them is me, the Southern Brown Bandicoot.
We took care to attach appropriate images that are as close to representative of each species as our resources and the availability of images allowed. However, we could not ensure perfect accuracy in every case. Some images show species that share the same genus but not at the species or subspecies level.
Southern Brown Bandicoot
Isoodon obesulus obesulus
The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) lists threatened species under six categories:
Extinct, Extinct in the wild, Critically Endangered, Endangered, Vulnerable, Conservation dependent. Read more about these categories
Isoodon obesulus obesulus is found across 44 electorates.
The Southern Brown Bandicoot is a medium sized ground dwelling marsupial with a long tapering snout, a naked nose, a compact body and a short tail. Males weigh between 500–1850 g and females 400–1200 g. They have an average body length of 33 cm for males and 30 cm for females, with an average tail length of 11.3 and 12.4 cm for females and males respectively.¹
Explore more about this species on the Atlas of Living Australia
Habitat loss, fragmentation and degradation
Invasive species and diseases
Explore more about the threats facing species on our Resources page.
- Bynoe's Wattle (Acacia bynoeana)
- Downy Wattle (Acacia pubescens)
- Thick-leaf Star-hair (Astrotricha crassifolia)
- Leafless Tongue-orchid (Cryptostylis hunteriana)
- White-flowered Wax Plant (Cynanchum elegans)
- Yellow Gnat-orchid (Genoplesium baueri)
- Small-flower Grevillea (Grevillea parviflora subsp. parviflora)
- Woronora Beard-heath (Leucopogon exolasius)
- Deane's Melaleuca (Melaleuca deanei)
- Knotweed (Persicaria elatior)
- Bargo Geebung (Persoonia bargoensis)
- Hairy Geebung (Persoonia hirsuta)
- Nodding Geebung (Persoonia nutans)
- Spiked Rice-flower (Pimelea spicata)
- Rufous Pomaderris (Pomaderris brunnea)
- Sydney Plains Greenhood (Pterostylis saxicola)
- Pultenaea aristata (Pultenaea aristata)
- Scrub Turpentine (Rhodamnia rubescens)
- Magenta Lilly Pilly (Syzygium paniculatum)
- Kangaloon Sun Orchid (Thelymitra kangaloonica)
You are in federal electorate Macarthur.