Elected representatives in government are in charge of the policy and funding that can make or break saving threatened species. Their decisions and actions matter.
Mackellar has or used to have 28 threatened animals within its boundaries. One of them is me, the New Holland Mouse.
We took care to attach appropriate images that are as close to representative of each species as our resources and the availability of images allowed. However, we could not ensure perfect accuracy in every case. Some images show species that share the same genus but not at the species or subspecies level.
New Holland Mouse
The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) lists threatened species under six categories:
Extinct, Extinct in the wild, Critically Endangered, Endangered, Vulnerable, Conservation dependent. Read more about these categories
Pseudomys novaehollandiae is found across 47 electorates.
A small, burrowing native rodent, the New Holland Mouse is similar in size and appearance to the introduced House Mouse, although it can be distinguished by its slightly larger ears and eyes, the absence of a notch on the upper incisors and the absence of a distinctive 'mousy odour'.¹
Explore more about this species on the Atlas of Living Australia
Adverse fire regimes
Invasive species and diseases
Explore more about the threats facing species on our Resources page.
- Bynoe's Wattle (Acacia bynoeana)
- Downy Wattle (Acacia pubescens)
- Sunshine Wattle (Acacia terminalis subsp. terminalis MS)
- Asterolasia elegans (Asterolasia elegans)
- Thick-leaf Star-hair (Astrotricha crassifolia)
- Thick-lipped Spider-orchid (Caladenia tessellata)
- Leafless Tongue-orchid (Cryptostylis hunteriana)
- White-flowered Wax Plant (Cynanchum elegans)
- Darwinia biflora (Darwinia biflora)
- Deyeuxia appressa (Deyeuxia appressa)
- Camfield's Stringybark (Eucalyptus camfieldii)
- Yellow Gnat-orchid (Genoplesium baueri)
- Caley's Grevillea (Grevillea caleyi)
- Grevillea shiressii (Grevillea shiressii)
- Hal (Haloragodendron lucasii)
- Kunzea rupestris (Kunzea rupestris)
- Lasiopetalum joyceae (Lasiopetalum joyceae)
- Deane's Tea-tree (Leptospermum deanei)
- Deane's Melaleuca (Melaleuca deanei)
- Angus's Onion Orchid (Microtis angusii)
- Hairy Geebung (Persoonia hirsuta)
- Pimelea curviflora var. curviflora (Pimelea curviflora var. curviflora)
- Scrub Turpentine (Rhodamnia rubescens)
- Native Guava (Rhodomyrtus psidioides)
- Magenta Lilly Pilly (Syzygium paniculatum)
You are in federal electorate Mackellar.