Elected representatives in government are in charge of the policy and funding that can make or break saving threatened species. Their decisions and actions matter.
McEwen has or used to have 22 threatened animals within its boundaries. One of them is me, the Smoky Mouse.
We took care to attach appropriate images that are as close to representative of each species as our resources and the availability of images allowed. However, we could not ensure perfect accuracy in every case. Some images show species that share the same genus but not at the species or subspecies level.
The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) lists threatened species under six categories:
Extinct, Extinct in the wild, Critically Endangered, Endangered, Vulnerable, Conservation dependent. Read more about these categories
Pseudomys fumeus is found across 9 electorates.
The Konoom is an Australian native rodent with pale grey to black fur, a grey to white belly and ears and feet that are flesh-coloured with sparse white hair. A ring of dark hairs may be present around the eye. The length of individuals, including the tail, is between 180–250 mm. The tail is narrow, flexible, sparsely furred, and white to pale pinkish grey underneath with a narrow dark strip along its upper surface and up to 145 mm in length. The ears are 18–22 mm long and the hind feet 25–29 mm long. Adult weight varies widely between 25–86 g.¹
Explore more about this species on the Atlas of Living Australia
Adverse fire regimes
Habitat loss, fragmentation and degradation
Invasive species and diseases
Explore more about the threats facing species on our Resources page.
- River Swamp Wallaby-grass (Amphibromus fluitans)
- Charming Spider-orchid (Caladenia amoena)
- Crimson Spider-orchid (Caladenia concolor)
- Rosella Spider-orchid (Caladenia rosella)
- Matted Flax-lily (Dianella amoena)
- Trailing Hop-bush (Dodonaea procumbens)
- Black Gum (Eucalyptus aggregata)
- Clover Glycine (Glycine latrobeana)
- Adamson's Blown-grass (Lachnagrostis adamsonii)
- Basalt Pepper-cress (Lepidium hyssopifolium)
- Hoary Sunray (Leucochrysum albicans subsp. tricolor)
- Plains Rice-flower (Pimelea spinescens subsp. spinescens)
- Round-leaf Pomaderris (Pomaderris vacciniifolia)
- Lilac Leek-orchid (Prasophyllum colemaniae)
- Maroon Leek-orchid (Prasophyllum frenchii)
- Green-striped Greenhood (Pterostylis chlorogramma)
- Button Wrinklewort (Rutidosis leptorrhynchoides)
- Large-fruit Fireweed (Senecio macrocarpus)
- Swamp Fireweed (Senecio psilocarpus)
- Swamp Everlasting (Xerochrysum palustre)
You are in federal electorate McEwen.