Elected representatives in government are in charge of the policy and funding that can make or break saving threatened species. Their decisions and actions matter.
Menzies has or used to have 15 threatened animals within its boundaries. One of them is me, the Growling Grass Frog.
We took care to attach appropriate images that are as close to representative of each species as our resources and the availability of images allowed. However, we could not ensure perfect accuracy in every case. Some images show species that share the same genus but not at the species or subspecies level.
Growling Grass Frog
The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) lists threatened species under six categories:
Extinct, Extinct in the wild, Critically Endangered, Endangered, Vulnerable, Conservation dependent. Read more about these categories
Litoria raniformis is found across 48 electorates.
The Growling Grass Frog is one of the largest frog species in Australia. It reaches up to 104 mm in length, with females usually larger than males. Growling Grass Frogs vary in colour and pattern but in general are olive to bright emerald green, with irregular gold, brown, black or bronze spotting. Their backs are warty and usually have a pale green mid-dorsal stripe. The eardrum is pronounced. A cream or yellow stripe underlined by a dark brown stripe runs from the nostril, through the eye, above the inner ear and down the sides of the body to the groin as a dorso-lateral fold. On their bellies, Growling Grass Frogs are white and coarsely granular. During the breeding season males may become yellow or dark grey/black under the throat. The groin and posterior of the thighs are turquoise blue.¹
Explore more about this species on the Atlas of Living Australia
Changed surface and groundwater regimes
Climate change and severe weather
Habitat loss, fragmentation and degradation
Invasive species and diseases
Explore more about the threats facing species on our Resources page.
- River Swamp Wallaby-grass (Amphibromus fluitans)
- Charming Spider-orchid (Caladenia amoena)
- Crimson Spider-orchid (Caladenia concolor)
- Rosella Spider-orchid (Caladenia rosella)
- Matted Flax-lily (Dianella amoena)
- Clover Glycine (Glycine latrobeana)
- Round-leaf Pomaderris (Pomaderris vacciniifolia)
- Lilac Leek-orchid (Prasophyllum colemaniae)
- Maroon Leek-orchid (Prasophyllum frenchii)
- Green-striped Greenhood (Pterostylis chlorogramma)
- Swamp Fireweed (Senecio psilocarpus)
- Swamp Everlasting (Xerochrysum palustre)
You are in federal electorate Menzies.