Elected representatives in government are in charge of the policy and funding that can make or break saving threatened species. Their decisions and actions matter.
Parkes has or used to have 38 threatened animals within its boundaries. One of them is me, the Thick-billed Grasswren.
We took care to attach appropriate images that are as close to representative of each species as our resources and the availability of images allowed. However, we could not ensure perfect accuracy in every case. Some images show species that share the same genus but not at the species or subspecies level.
The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) lists threatened species under six categories:
Extinct, Extinct in the wild, Critically Endangered, Endangered, Vulnerable, Conservation dependent. Read more about these categories
Amytornis modestus is found across 4 electorates.
Thick-billed Grasswrens are thickset, dull brown grasswrens with dark stout bills. The underparts are pale grey-buff, with fine streaking from the chin to the breast, and on the back. Female Grasswrens have chestnut flanks.¹
Explore more about this species on the Atlas of Living Australia
Climate change and severe weather
Habitat loss, fragmentation and degradation
Invasive species and diseases
Explore more about the threats facing species on our Resources page.
- Needle Wattle (Acacia carneorum)
- Curly-bark Wattle (Acacia curranii)
- Androcalva procumbens (Androcalva procumbens)
- Atriplex infrequens (Atriplex infrequens)
- Austrostipa metatoris (Austrostipa metatoris)
- Austrostipa wakoolica (Austrostipa wakoolica)
- Bertya opponens (Bertya opponens)
- Mossgiel Daisy (Brachyscome papillosa)
- Ooline (Cadellia pentastylis)
- Callistemon pungens (Callistemon pungens)
- Moore's Burr-daisy (Calotis moorei)
- Bluegrass (Dichanthium setosum)
- a spike rush (Eleocharis obicis)
- Austral Pipewort (Eriocaulon australasicum)
- Salt Pipewort (Eriocaulon carsonii)
- Frankenia plicata (Frankenia plicata)
- Flame Spider-flower (Grevillea kennedyana)
- Lake Keepit Hakea (Hakea pulvinifera)
- Belson's Panic (Homopholis belsonii)
- Homoranthus darwinioides (Homoranthus darwinioides)
- Indigofera efoliata (Indigofera efoliata)
- Spiny Pepper-cress (Lepidium aschersonii)
- Winged Pepper-cress (Lepidium monoplocoides)
- Chariot Wheels (Maireana cheelii)
- Hawkweed (Picris evae)
- Sclerolaena walkeri (Sclerolaena walkeri)
- Menindee Nightshade (Solanum karsense)
- Slender Darling-pea (Swainsona murrayana)
- Red Darling-pea (Swainsona plagiotropis)
- Yellow Swainson-pea (Swainsona pyrophila)
- Small Purple-pea (Swainsona recta)
- Austral Toadflax (Thesium australe)
- Tylophora linearis (Tylophora linearis)
- Xerothamnella parvifolia (Xerothamnella parvifolia)
- Ingram's Zieria (Zieria ingramii)
You are in federal electorate Parkes.