Elected representatives in government are in charge of the policy and funding that can make or break saving threatened species. Their decisions and actions matter.
Paterson has or used to have 19 threatened animals within its boundaries. One of them is me, the Red Goshawk.
We took care to attach appropriate images that are as close to representative of each species as our resources and the availability of images allowed. However, we could not ensure perfect accuracy in every case. Some images show species that share the same genus but not at the species or subspecies level.
The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) lists threatened species under six categories:
Extinct, Extinct in the wild, Critically Endangered, Endangered, Vulnerable, Conservation dependent. Read more about these categories
Erythrotriorchis radiatus is found across 43 electorates.
The Red Goshawk is a large, swift and powerful rufous-brown hawk, growing to a length of 45–60 cm, with a wingspan of 100–135 cm. The two sexes of this species are quite different in size and appearance. The females weigh approximately 1.1 kg, the males approximately 0.63 kg. The Red Goshawk is boldly mottled and streaked, with rufous scalloping on the back and upper wings, rufous underparts that are brightest and lack streaking on the thighs, and with massive yellowish legs and feet, and boldly barred underwings. Females are larger, more powerfully built, paler and more heavily streaked below, showing some white on the under body. Juveniles have redder upperparts, and the head and underparts are rich rufous with fine dark streaks. The juvenile's rufous head distinguishes it from adults.¹
Explore more about this species on the Atlas of Living Australia
Adverse fire regimes
Habitat loss, fragmentation and degradation
Explore more about the threats facing species on our Resources page.
- Bynoe's Wattle (Acacia bynoeana)
- Charmhaven Apple (Angophora inopina)
- Trailing Woodruff (Asperula asthenes)
- Thick-lipped Spider-orchid (Caladenia tessellata)
- Dwarf Kerrawang (Commersonia prostrata)
- Leafless Tongue-orchid (Cryptostylis hunteriana)
- White-flowered Wax Plant (Cynanchum elegans)
- Bluegrass (Dichanthium setosum)
- Newcastle Doubletail (Diuris praecox)
- Camfield's Stringybark (Eucalyptus camfieldii)
- Slaty Red Gum (Eucalyptus glaucina)
- Earp's Gum (Eucalyptus parramattensis subsp. decadens)
- Small-flower Grevillea (Grevillea parviflora subsp. parviflora)
- Biconvex Paperbark (Melaleuca biconvexa)
- Knotweed (Persicaria elatior)
- Villous Mintbush (Prostanthera densa)
- Illawarra Greenhood (Pterostylis gibbosa)
- Heath Wrinklewort (Rutidosis heterogama)
- Magenta Lilly Pilly (Syzygium paniculatum)
- Black-eyed Susan (Tetratheca juncea)
You are in federal electorate Paterson.