Elected representatives in government are in charge of the policy and funding that can make or break saving threatened species. Their decisions and actions matter.
Scullin has or used to have 14 threatened animals within its boundaries. One of them is me, the Plains-wanderer.
We took care to attach appropriate images that are as close to representative of each species as our resources and the availability of images allowed. However, we could not ensure perfect accuracy in every case. Some images show species that share the same genus but not at the species or subspecies level.
Status: Critically Endangered
The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) lists threatened species under six categories:
Extinct, Extinct in the wild, Critically Endangered, Endangered, Vulnerable, Conservation dependent. Read more about these categories
Pedionomus torquatus is found across 36 electorates.
The plains wanderer is a highly unique, ground-dwelling bird that lives in the grasslands of Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia. It is a very ancient member of Australia's avifauna, with its origins tracing back over 60 million years. Plains wanderers inhabit sparse native grasslands and are often absent from areas where grass becomes too dense or too sparse. They nest amongst native grasses and herbs, or sometimes amongst crops, feeding on a mixture of seeds, invertebrates and leaves.¹
Explore more about this species on the Atlas of Living Australia
Climate change and severe weather
Disrupted ecosystem and population processes
Habitat loss, fragmentation and degradation
Invasive species and diseases
Overexploitation and other direct harm from human activities
Explore more about the threats facing species on our Resources page.
- River Swamp Wallaby-grass (Amphibromus fluitans)
- Charming Spider-orchid (Caladenia amoena)
- Rosella Spider-orchid (Caladenia rosella)
- Matted Flax-lily (Dianella amoena)
- Clover Glycine (Glycine latrobeana)
- Adamson's Blown-grass (Lachnagrostis adamsonii)
- Basalt Pepper-cress (Lepidium hyssopifolium)
- Hoary Sunray (Leucochrysum albicans subsp. tricolor)
- Plains Rice-flower (Pimelea spinescens subsp. spinescens)
- Round-leaf Pomaderris (Pomaderris vacciniifolia)
- Green-striped Greenhood (Pterostylis chlorogramma)
- Button Wrinklewort (Rutidosis leptorrhynchoides)
- Large-fruit Fireweed (Senecio macrocarpus)
- Swamp Fireweed (Senecio psilocarpus)
- Swamp Everlasting (Xerochrysum palustre)
You are in federal electorate Scullin.