Elected representatives in government are in charge of the policy and funding that can make or break saving threatened species. Their decisions and actions matter.
Warringah has or used to have 19 threatened animals within its boundaries. One of them is me, the Broad-headed Snake.
We took care to attach appropriate images that are as close to representative of each species as our resources and the availability of images allowed. However, we could not ensure perfect accuracy in every case. Some images show species that share the same genus but not at the species or subspecies level.
The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) lists threatened species under six categories:
Extinct, Extinct in the wild, Critically Endangered, Endangered, Vulnerable, Conservation dependent. Read more about these categories
Hoplocephalus bungaroides is found across 24 electorates.
The Broad-headed Snake is black above with numerous bright yellow scales forming a series of irregular, narrow cross-bands. The belly is grey to grey-black, sometimes with yellow blotches. The head also has yellow blotches and the labials are barred yellow. It grows to a maximum length of 90 cm, however its average length is 60 cm.¹
Explore more about this species on the Atlas of Living Australia
Adverse fire regimes
Climate change and severe weather
Overexploitation and other direct harm from human activities
Explore more about the threats facing species on our Resources page.
- Nielsen Park She-oak (Allocasuarina portuensis)
- Thick-lipped Spider-orchid (Caladenia tessellata)
- Leafless Tongue-orchid (Cryptostylis hunteriana)
- White-flowered Wax Plant (Cynanchum elegans)
- Camfield's Stringybark (Eucalyptus camfieldii)
- Yellow Gnat-orchid (Genoplesium baueri)
- Caley's Grevillea (Grevillea caleyi)
- Hal (Haloragodendron lucasii)
- Lasiopetalum joyceae (Lasiopetalum joyceae)
- Deane's Melaleuca (Melaleuca deanei)
- Hairy Geebung (Persoonia hirsuta)
- Pimelea curviflora var. curviflora (Pimelea curviflora var. curviflora)
- Somersby Mintbush (Prostanthera junonis)
- Seaforth Mintbush (Prostanthera marifolia)
- Magenta Lilly Pilly (Syzygium paniculatum)
You are in federal electorate Warringah.