Elected representatives in government are in charge of the policy and funding that can make or break saving threatened species. Their decisions and actions matter.
Ballarat has or used to have 22 threatened animals within its boundaries. One of them is me, the Trout Cod.
We took care to attach appropriate images that are as close to representative of each species as our resources and the availability of images allowed. However, we could not ensure perfect accuracy in every case. Some images show species that share the same genus but not at the species or subspecies level.
The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) lists threatened species under six categories:
Extinct, Extinct in the wild, Critically Endangered, Endangered, Vulnerable, Conservation dependent. Read more about these categories
Maccullochella macquariensis is found across 12 electorates.
The Trout Cod is a large, elongated fish, bluish grey in colour or sometimes dark to light brown. It has been known to grow to 85 cm and 16 kg but mostly grows to between 40 to 50 cm and less than 5 kg. It has small dark irregular spots or bars extending onto lower sides and the base of the dorsal and caudal fins, few or absent markings on the head and dusky grey to brownish fins with white or creamy margins.¹
Explore more about this species on the Atlas of Living Australia
Changed surface and groundwater regimes
Climate change and severe weather
Disrupted ecosystem and population processes
Invasive species and diseases
Overexploitation and other direct harm from human activities
Explore more about the threats facing species on our Resources page.
- River Swamp Wallaby-grass (Amphibromus fluitans)
- McIvor Spider-orchid (Caladenia audasii)
- Crimson Spider-orchid (Caladenia concolor)
- Ornate Pink Fingers (Caladenia ornata)
- Dwarf Spider-orchid (Caladenia pumila)
- Matted Flax-lily (Dianella amoena)
- Trailing Hop-bush (Dodonaea procumbens)
- Black Gum (Eucalyptus aggregata)
- Clover Glycine (Glycine latrobeana)
- Enfield Grevillea (Grevillea bedggoodiana)
- Adamson's Blown-grass (Lachnagrostis adamsonii)
- Spiny Pepper-cress (Lepidium aschersonii)
- Basalt Pepper-cress (Lepidium hyssopifolium)
- Hoary Sunray (Leucochrysum albicans subsp. tricolor)
- Plains Rice-flower (Pimelea spinescens subsp. spinescens)
- Salt-lake Tussock-grass (Poa sallacustris)
- Fragrant Leek-orchid (Prasophyllum suaveolens)
- Sturdy Leek-orchid (Prasophyllum validum)
- Green-striped Greenhood (Pterostylis chlorogramma)
- Lowly Greenhood (Pterostylis despectans)
- Button Wrinklewort (Rutidosis leptorrhynchoides)
- Stiff Groundsel (Senecio behrianus)
- Large-fruit Fireweed (Senecio macrocarpus)
- Swamp Fireweed (Senecio psilocarpus)
- Swamp Everlasting (Xerochrysum palustre)
You are in federal electorate Ballarat.