Elected representatives in government are in charge of the policy and funding that can make or break saving threatened species. Their decisions and actions matter.
Longman has or used to have 29 threatened animals within its boundaries. One of them is me, the Large-eared Pied Bat.
We took care to attach appropriate images that are as close to representative of each species as our resources and the availability of images allowed. However, we could not ensure perfect accuracy in every case. Some images show species that share the same genus but not at the species or subspecies level.
Large-eared Pied Bat
The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) lists threatened species under six categories:
Extinct, Extinct in the wild, Critically Endangered, Endangered, Vulnerable, Conservation dependent. Read more about these categories
Chalinolobus dwyeri is found across 69 electorates.
The Large-eared Pied Bat is a medium-sized insectivorous bat measuring a total length of approximately 100 mm and weighing 7–12 grams. It has shiny, black fur on the body with a white stripe on the ventral side of the torso where it adjoins the wings and tail. The ears are large, and lobes of skin adorn the lower lip and between the corner of the mouth and the bottom of the ear. Its relatively short, broad wings suggest it flies slowly and with considerable maneuverability.¹
Explore more about this species on the Atlas of Living Australia
Changed surface and groundwater regimes
Habitat loss, fragmentation and degradation
Invasive species and diseases
Overexploitation and other direct harm from human activities
Explore more about the threats facing species on our Resources page.
- Hairy-joint Grass (Arthraxon hispidus)
- Three-leaved Bosistoa (Bosistoa transversa)
- Callistemon pungens (Callistemon pungens)
- Stinking Cryptocarya (Cryptocarya foetida)
- Leafless Tongue-orchid (Cryptostylis hunteriana)
- Bluegrass (Dichanthium setosum)
- Ball Nut (Floydia praealta)
- Macadamia Nut (Macadamia integrifolia)
- Small-fruited Queensland Nut (Macadamia ternifolia)
- Rough-shelled Bush Nut (Macadamia tetraphylla)
- Lesser Swamp-orchid (Phaius australis)
- Plectranthus leiperi (Plectranthus leiperi)
- Nightcap Plectranthus (Plectranthus nitidus)
- Wallum Leek-orchid (Prasophyllum wallum)
- Scrub Turpentine (Rhodamnia rubescens)
- Native Guava (Rhodomyrtus psidioides)
- Romnalda strobilacea (Romnalda strobilacea)
- Quassia (Samadera bidwillii)
- Ravine Orchid (Sarcochilus fitzgeraldii)
- Sophora fraseri (Sophora fraseri)
- Smooth-bark Rose Apple (Syzygium hodgkinsoniae)
- Austral Toadflax (Thesium australe)
- Glossy Spice Bush (Triunia robusta)
- Banished Stink Bush (Zieria exsul)
You are in federal electorate Longman.