Elected representatives in government are in charge of the policy and funding that can make or break saving threatened species. Their decisions and actions matter.
Pearce has or used to have 11 threatened animals within its boundaries. One of them is me, the Baudin's Cockatoo.
We took care to attach appropriate images that are as close to representative of each species as our resources and the availability of images allowed. However, we could not ensure perfect accuracy in every case. Some images show species that share the same genus but not at the species or subspecies level.
The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) lists threatened species under six categories:
Extinct, Extinct in the wild, Critically Endangered, Endangered, Vulnerable, Conservation dependent. Read more about these categories
Calyptorhynchus baudinii is found across 13 electorates.
Baudin's Cockatoo is a large cockatoo that measures 50–57 cm in length, with a wingspan of approximately 110 cm, and a mass of 560–770 g. It is mostly dull black in colour, with pale whitish margins on the feathers, large, rounded patches on the ear coverts, and rectangular white panels in the tail. It has a large bill that is coloured black in the male and whitish-grey with a black tip in the female; a dark brown iris that is surrounded by a reddish-pink eye-ring in the male and a grey eye-ring in the female; a short, rounded, erectile crest; and grey feet. Juvenile birds are like the adults in appearance, but the bill of the juvenile male is like that of the adult female. The bill of the juvenile male begins to darken after the second year.¹
Explore more about this species on the Atlas of Living Australia
Adverse fire regimes
Disrupted ecosystem and population processes
Habitat loss, fragmentation and degradation
Invasive species and diseases
Overexploitation and other direct harm from human activities
Explore more about the threats facing species on our Resources page.
- Slender Andersonia (Andersonia gracilis)
- Dwarf Green Kangaroo Paw (Anigozanthos viridis subsp. terraspectans)
- King Spider-orchid (Caladenia huegelii)
- Tall Donkey Orchid (Diuris drummondii)
- Dwarf Bee-orchid (Diuris micrantha)
- Purdie's Donkey-orchid (Diuris purdiei)
- Glossy-leafed Hammer Orchid (Drakaea elastica)
- Yanchep Mallee (Eucalyptus argutifolia)
- Christine's Grevillea (Grevillea christineae)
- Curved-leaf Grevillea (Grevillea curviloba subsp. curviloba)
- Narrow curved-leaf Grevillea (Grevillea curviloba subsp. incurva)
- Marianthus paralius (Marianthus paralius)
- Melaleuca sp. Wanneroo (Melaleuca sp. Wanneroo )
- Star Sun-orchid (Thelymitra stellata)
- Swan Hydatella (Trithuria occidentalis)
You are in federal electorate Pearce.