Elected representatives in government are in charge of the policy and funding that can make or break saving threatened species. Their decisions and actions matter.
Pearce has or used to have 11 threatened animals within its boundaries. One of them is me, the Malleefowl.
We took care to attach appropriate images that are as close to representative of each species as our resources and the availability of images allowed. However, we could not ensure perfect accuracy in every case. Some images show species that share the same genus but not at the species or subspecies level.
The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) lists threatened species under six categories:
Extinct, Extinct in the wild, Critically Endangered, Endangered, Vulnerable, Conservation dependent. Read more about these categories
Leipoa ocellata is found across 31 electorates.
The malleefowl gets its name from the habitat it occurs in. This ground-dwelling bird is famous for its ability to build enormous mounds. The male and female mate for life and take months working together to build their nest. The eggs are incubated in sand or soil by the sun or mounds of rotting leaves. While the male continues to patch-up the nest during the incubation, the parents take no part in chick rearing, with chicks emerging from the mound completely self sufficient.¹
Explore more about this species on the Atlas of Living Australia
Adverse fire regimes
Climate change and severe weather
Disrupted ecosystem and population processes
Habitat loss, fragmentation and degradation
Invasive species and diseases
Overexploitation and other direct harm from human activities
Explore more about the threats facing species on our Resources page.
- Slender Andersonia (Andersonia gracilis)
- Dwarf Green Kangaroo Paw (Anigozanthos viridis subsp. terraspectans)
- King Spider-orchid (Caladenia huegelii)
- Tall Donkey Orchid (Diuris drummondii)
- Dwarf Bee-orchid (Diuris micrantha)
- Purdie's Donkey-orchid (Diuris purdiei)
- Glossy-leafed Hammer Orchid (Drakaea elastica)
- Yanchep Mallee (Eucalyptus argutifolia)
- Christine's Grevillea (Grevillea christineae)
- Curved-leaf Grevillea (Grevillea curviloba subsp. curviloba)
- Narrow curved-leaf Grevillea (Grevillea curviloba subsp. incurva)
- Marianthus paralius (Marianthus paralius)
- Melaleuca sp. Wanneroo (Melaleuca sp. Wanneroo )
- Star Sun-orchid (Thelymitra stellata)
- Swan Hydatella (Trithuria occidentalis)
You are in federal electorate Pearce.