Elected representatives in government are in charge of the policy and funding that can make or break saving threatened species. Their decisions and actions matter.
Ryan has or used to have 17 threatened animals within its boundaries. One of them is me, the Long-nosed Potoroo.
We took care to attach appropriate images that are as close to representative of each species as our resources and the availability of images allowed. However, we could not ensure perfect accuracy in every case. Some images show species that share the same genus but not at the species or subspecies level.
Potorous tridactylus tridactylus
The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) lists threatened species under six categories:
Extinct, Extinct in the wild, Critically Endangered, Endangered, Vulnerable, Conservation dependent. Read more about these categories
Potorous tridactylus tridactylus is found across 33 electorates.
The Long-nosed Potoroo is a medium sized marsupial of the order Diprotodontia. There is considerable variation between sizes in males and females. Males and females have a body length between 287–410 mm and 259–378 mm respectively. Tail lengths range between 204–262 mm and 198–254 mm with males being typically heavier than females. The Long-nosed Potoroo can be identified by a brown to grey upper body and paler underbody. They have a long nose that tapers with a small patch of skin extending from the snout to the nose. The length of the feet is shorter than their head length. They are smaller than the Long-footed Potoroo.¹
Explore more about this species on the Atlas of Living Australia
Adverse fire regimes
Habitat loss, fragmentation and degradation
Invasive species and diseases
Explore more about the threats facing species on our Resources page.
- Hairy-joint Grass (Arthraxon hispidus)
- Native Jute (Corchorus cunninghamii)
- Stinking Cryptocarya (Cryptocarya foetida)
- Cyperus semifertilis (Cyperus semifertilis)
- Bluegrass (Dichanthium setosum)
- Angle-stemmed Myrtle (Gossia gonoclada)
- Tall Velvet Sea-berry (Haloragis exalata subsp. velutina)
- Wandering Pepper-cress (Lepidium peregrinum)
- Macadamia Nut (Macadamia integrifolia)
- Small-fruited Queensland Nut (Macadamia ternifolia)
- Rough-shelled Bush Nut (Macadamia tetraphylla)
- Clear Milkvine (Marsdenia longiloba)
- Lloyd's Olive (Notelaea lloydii)
- Lesser Swamp-orchid (Phaius australis)
- Nightcap Plectranthus (Plectranthus nitidus)
- Quassia (Samadera bidwillii)
- Ravine Orchid (Sarcochilus fitzgeraldii)
- Sophora fraseri (Sophora fraseri)
- Austral Toadflax (Thesium australe)
You are in federal electorate Ryan.