Elected representatives in government are in charge of the policy and funding that can make or break saving threatened species. Their decisions and actions matter.
Ryan has or used to have 19 threatened animals within its boundaries. One of them is me, the Australian Lungfish.
We took care to attach appropriate images that are as close to representative of each species as our resources and the availability of images allowed. However, we could not ensure perfect accuracy in every case. Some images show species that share the same genus but not at the species or subspecies level.
The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) lists threatened species under six categories:
Extinct, Extinct in the wild, Critically Endangered, Endangered, Vulnerable, Conservation dependent. Read more about these categories
Neoceratodus forsteri is found across 14 electorates.
The Australian Lungfish is a long, heavy-bodied freshwater fish. The species has five pairs of gills and its fins resemble flippers. Adult Lungfish can weigh up to 48 kg and grow to around 2 m, but commonly reach 1.3 m. In the Burnett River, the mean length was 906 ± 199 mm, and the mean weight 7573 ± 4563 g. Adult Lungfish are dark brown or olive brown on the back and pink on the belly, with some whitish colour on the belly and underside of the head. Lungfish in Lake Samsonvale are less pink and more yellow on the belly, probably owing to the fact that the environment is so depauperate that the lungfish are unhealthy.¹
Explore more about this species on the Atlas of Living Australia
Changed surface and groundwater regimes
Explore more about the threats facing species on our Resources page.
- Hairy-joint Grass (Arthraxon hispidus)
- Three-leaved Bosistoa (Bosistoa transversa)
- Native Jute (Corchorus cunninghamii)
- Stinking Cryptocarya (Cryptocarya foetida)
- Cyperus semifertilis (Cyperus semifertilis)
- Bluegrass (Dichanthium setosum)
- Angle-stemmed Myrtle (Gossia gonoclada)
- Tall Velvet Sea-berry (Haloragis exalata subsp. velutina)
- Wandering Pepper-cress (Lepidium peregrinum)
- Macadamia Nut (Macadamia integrifolia)
- Small-fruited Queensland Nut (Macadamia ternifolia)
- Rough-shelled Bush Nut (Macadamia tetraphylla)
- Clear Milkvine (Marsdenia longiloba)
- Lloyd's Olive (Notelaea lloydii)
- Lesser Swamp-orchid (Phaius australis)
- Nightcap Plectranthus (Plectranthus nitidus)
- Scrub Turpentine (Rhodamnia rubescens)
- Native Guava (Rhodomyrtus psidioides)
- Quassia (Samadera bidwillii)
- Ravine Orchid (Sarcochilus fitzgeraldii)
- Sophora fraseri (Sophora fraseri)
- Austral Toadflax (Thesium australe)
You are in federal electorate Ryan.